Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Philippians 1:3

Have you ever known someone who fits this verse just perfectly? I love The Message's translation:

"Every time you cross my mind, I break out in exclamations of thanks to God!"

Wow, what a statement. It takes a pretty "neato" person to make me break out in exclamations to God, but I work with a woman who is just that...totally "neato."

In my previous post, I mentioned Rich and I watching Facing the Giants at church Sunday night. Afterwards, we were so inspired (and happened to need some groceries, as well) we decided to run to Super Wal-Mart and peruse the movies. Lo and behold, while we are there, we run into Nancy Simpson, the PIEMS coordinator at our high school (she takes care of attendance, grades, and pretty much anything else anyone decides to throw at her). She is a member at First Baptist and asks if we have just come from movie night. So, we chat about the movie, which she has already seen twice, and then we go our separate ways. Later, we run into her again near the movies and she asks if we have found it. We say yes, but never mention to her we weren't going to buy it then (it was still $20.00 and those of you who know me well, know I am a bit of a tight wad when it comes to "extravagant" spending). So, we head to the checkout behind Nancy, get our groceries, wave goodbye and off we go.

So, today during my conference, in walks Nancy, and very humbly she hands me a copy of the movie with a note stuck to it that reads,

"Dear Charla, I hope you and Richard can enjoy this with family and friends. Love, Nancy"

I just thought, "you're kidding me, right?" I said, "Nancy, you didn't have to do this," to which she replied, "I know, but I really wanted to," and I said, "I know you did, that's what makes it even better."

She didn't have to. She didn't need to. But she did. She was practicing Christian Action and as a Christian she knows that movie will be viewed by many people and that in her own little way she is ministering to those people, people she might not even know, with this gesture.

She is the kind of Christian who, when you ask her for prayers, will either grab your hand and pray right there with you, if you are in person. Or, as I have been witness to, will stop all she is doing to email you a prayer, if she received it by email.

She is one of the most faithful, God-fearing women I know and I am so incredibly blessed by her presence at work every day!

Thank you Jesus, for disciples like Nancy, whom, when I think about her makes me "break out in exclamations of thanks."

3 comments:

  1. What a blessing to work with such a woman of faith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Charla! I'm so excited that I know have a fellow blogger in town! I hope my post are boring to you. Lots and lots of kid stuff on there!! I had a great time last night and can't wait until next month! Stop by any time. I'm going to put you on my blogroll account so I can add you as a link. I hope you don't mind. Oh, I actually had someone do my template for me. Her name is Lindsay and you can link to her sight from mine. Just click on "Splat Designs". She is amazing! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just reread my comment and realized I used know in place of now in my second sentence. Not so smart when you're using incorrect grammer with an english teacher!LOL! Forgive me, I have most of my conversations with toddlers!!

    ReplyDelete

Comment away, y'all!