Saturday, April 09, 2011

Pregnancy Highlights: 36 Weeks

How far along: 36 Weeks Today (8 days until D-Day)!


Size of Babies:  Baby Center says:  Your baby is still packing on the pounds — at the rate of about an ounce a day. She now weighs almost 6 pounds (or more), like a crenshaw melon, and is more than 18 1/2 inches long. She's shedding most of the downy covering of hair that covered her body as well as the vernix caseosa, the waxy substance that covered and protected her skin during her nine-month amniotic bath. Your baby swallows both of these substances, along with other secretions, resulting in a blackish mixture, called meconium, which will form the contents of her first bowel movement.
At Wednesday's appointment, the babies' heads were so low they couldn't get an accurate measurement, so their weights couldn't be calculated.  In case you didn't know, they use ultrasound measurements of an arm bone, a leg bone, the abdomen circumference, and the head circumference to come up with an approximate weight, once the babies get to a certain gestational age.  Before that, they use crown to rump measurements.  

(Images from Google and Baby Center)

Total Weight Gain/Lost:  Ahem.  Let's just say I almost cried on the scale at Wednesday's appointment, and that I am just praying the 'ole "breastfeeding will help you shed those pounds fast" adage, is really, really true!  

Maternity Clothes: Uh-huh.  Either maternity or McH's XL.  I could get away with Large shirts, but they just aren't long enough.  Even XL shirts creep up over my belly so I'm constantly pulling them down.  HA! 

Gender: Baby A is a GIRL (Reese Kathleen) and Baby B is a BOY (Truett Zeldon).

Movement: Yes.  Definitely noticing their movements have slowed down because they just don't have much room in there.  But as I type, they're squirming.  Their moves are less jerky and more just fluid glides. 

Sleep:  Eh, still not great, but I've started taking really big, long naps during the day.  

What I Miss:  Energy.  Sleep.  Stamina.  You know, same old, same old.

Cravings:  I've really been craving healthy food the last couple of weeks.  Salads, veggies, fruits, yogurt.  I made a DELICIOUS strawberry/banana smoothie the other day and then made myself almost sick when I drank the whole thing!  HA! 

Symptoms:  The end-of-pregnancy discomfort has hit FULL FORCE!  Sleepy, very emotional, and having crazy dreams!  Oh, and I can't leave out those lovely stretch marks.  I was so hoping I was going to make it through with very few of them, and it seems they are worse and there are more of them every day!  I have to be completely honest and say they really depress me.  I hate that I am so shallow about it, but it is really so strange to watch your body permanently change right in front of your eyes.  Praise God for my wonderful husband who says to me, "they aren't that bad, babe and besides I will look at them and every time think that that is where my babies lived for nine months!"  I love him so much. 

Best moment for this week:  Wednesday's appointment was good because things are going so well.  The doctors were really happy with everything and really impressed with how far I've made it and how few complications I've had.  The 2.5 hour trip nearly did me in.  I ended up the last 30 miles home, laying in the back seat, so I'm certainly not looking forward to the next appointment this Wednesday, but I'll be ready to know our final plans and hear what they have to say.  


I can't believe I will only have one more pregnancy update to write and then I'll be blogging about precious babies with lots of pictures!  YAY!


post signature

4 comments:

  1. Oh Charla you are getting so close!!!!! You have done such an amazing job of taking care of yourself so you could take care of those precious babies! And I know it sucks to look at your body right now and it not even seem like it is your own body. It will return to normal sooner than you think. The stretch marks will fade much faster than you think too. I know mine have. I hardly even notice them now. And when I look down and see them and then see Abigail tugging at my leg, they are all worth it! Don't feel shallow about hating them...even though you are a Mommy, you are still a woman first, and it is hard to see the changes no matter how much you love your babies. Can't believe it is only 8 days away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your family pregancy pictures. You are just glowing. I am so happy for you! God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe it's almost time! Can't wait to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! So excited for you that you're so close! And don't worry about your weight - it will come off! I gained 80 pounds with my first, and I didn't even have twins! I think I get to meet my little girl Wednesday (looks like we'll have to schedule an induction by then).

    ReplyDelete

Comment away, y'all!