Thursday, November 01, 2012

Sayonara...Adios...Arrivederci to the Tee-Vee

Are you wondering why I'm posting so much all of a sudden?  I think the answer is somewhat two-fold.

First of all, I've missed it.  I've missed reading my favorite blogs and I've missed sharing our life and documenting it in this way.

And secondly, we put the kibosh on our satellite.  Yep.  We've been talking about doing it for over a year now, but just never bit the bullet...until last week.  We had it set up to end on our anniversary, which I thought somewhat apropos, and I was prepared for that.  But for some reason it didn't.  And secretly, I was relieved.  How sad, isn't it, that I was actually kind of scared about not having our satellite television anymore?  Ugh.  That's just wrong.

Then, all of a sudden, about two weeks after the scheduled cancellation day had come and gone, one afternoon as the babies were napping, I sat down to turn on a little telly, and WHAM!!!  It was gone.  All that was left were every single paid programming channel known to man, and a few QVCish channels.

This time I wasn't prepared, and I have to admit, the silence without the t.v., was, at first, deafening.

But, we spent the first week watching everything left on our DVR, and now we've found a couple of shows on Netflix we're enjoying.

And you know what?  I said to Richard the other day, "I really don't miss it, yet."  All those shows I knew I couldn't live without, or at the very least would be painful to let go of, I don't even think about anymore.  Whew, what a relief!

So, I guess this is the main reason I'm blogging more, too.  When I normally would watch t.v., instead I'm blogging, or reading, or cleaning.

Okay, not really cleaning.  Maybe sleeping.  

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! We cancelled our cable a little over a year ago and I couldn't be happier. Like you, I'm not opposed to some selected, pre-screened shows for my two-year-old (we did a lot of Baby Signing Time and Curious George), but I was concerned about the amount of time that I was spending watching crap instead of hanging out with her. My husband and I also watch plenty of Netflix once she's in bed, and Hulu Plus as well. But it's on "my time" instead of dictated by the tv schedule.

    ReplyDelete

Comment away, y'all!