Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Post Is In

Some of you know, others may not. I had my fourth, and HOPEFULLY last, dental implant yesterday morning. I took the day off of work, and Richard drove me to Wichita Falls. As with all of the other procedures, I took two Ativan (concious sedation drugs) and settled in for a long nap. I'm telling you, I would almost have more teeth done if I could get to take that stuff...you sleep literally like a baby...undisturbed, peaceful, restful sleep! Ahhh....

Anyway, a dental implant is basically where a titanium rod is drilled into the bone and then your gum is stitched closed and left to heal. The bone must heal for 4-6 months and then an abutment with a porcelaine crown is screwed into the female end of the implant. It is expensive but is totally worth it because the alternative is a bridge which is very inconvenient.

All of this dental work is the result of a bad car accident when I was 9. I had to have plastic surgery on my face and reconstructive oral surgery. Since then, I have dealt with many issues, mainly with my teeth. It's funny because the side that endured the trauma of the accident is the only side I have trouble with...so we know my problems stem from the accident and not something else.

I slept all the way home (with the exception of a stop at McDonald's for a vanilla milk shake and some french fries) and then when we got home around 2:45 Rich put me in bed and I slept until 9:00. I got up for three hours, and went back to bed around 12:00 and slept all night! I was back at work this morning and have only had mild pain and swelling (I think from having to talk all day and teach). Woo-hoo!

7 comments:

  1. Ugh. Teeth trouble. I can completely relate unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad all went well.

    Did you think of me while in Wichita Falls? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I HATE the dentist. My kids are braver than I am when it comes to the "chair"! Glad you are feeling good. Can't wait until Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that you finally were able to get your teeth fixed! It seems like you must have been working on that since JLMS days!!! You poor thing!

    Glad to hear that things are going so well at school! I feel like I am running around like crazy this year... but January will be here soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doesn't sound like much fun to me! Let me know if you'll be in Amarillo this weekend. We leave on Tuesday morning to head back to North Carolina. I'd love to see you (and Richard too if he wants to come)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have the worst teeth, so i empathize!

    hope school year is going well! sorry i rarely have time to comment! hope you are well :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad the procedure went well. Yum, a milkshake sounds delicious...I'm with you, I love "going under" and sleeping hard. It's great!

    ReplyDelete

Comment away, y'all!