A couple of weekends ago, we spent Saturday night with lots of good friends, raising money for a good cause at the 4th annual sausage fest.
We were outside the whole night, visiting, laughing, dancing and just having a genuine good time.
We got home very late Saturday night...okay, Sunday morning is probably more accurate...and I immediately went to bed.
I slept fine until sometime early in the morning when I woke up with an awful burning sensation on the back of my neck. I was perplexed; I knew I'd had a slight sunburn, but I thought this was ridiculously painful. Then, I decided to touch the place that was hurting and I was shocked to feel a line of what I thought were maybe burn blisters.
As soon as McHotterson was awake, I asked him to look at them and he instantly identified it as the results of a blister beetle. HUH?
I've heard of these nasty critters, and I"m sure you've seen them...they seem to be everywhere in Texas and the Eastern United States. Turns out they don't bite you. If they land on you and secrete the toxin from their legs, they leave disgusting and painful blisters in any place the toxin has touched. If you pop the blisters and the toxin touches anywhere on your body, a blister will appear there, too. EWWW!!! So, McH carefully popped them, doused them with bleach and peroxide and then put some antibiotic and a big bandage on them for a day or so. Have I said lately how much I love that guy? After that, I just let them breathe and heal on their own.