Thursday, September 21, 2006

A Maggie Story and More

Growing up in the country, I have experienced my fair share of close encounters with skunks. However, two days ago Maggie had her very first experience with one and the sad truth is I'm not sure she hated it as much as I wish. Here's how it went down...

3:50 p.m. Arrived home and let Maggie in to play before my hair appointment.
4:20 p.m. Left home and let Maggie out while I was gone.
6:15 p.m. Get a call from Richard and can't go work out as planned, so head to the in-laws.
9:30 p.m. Arrive home to a wretched smell wafting in from the backyard.
9:33 p.m. Open the back door to let Maggie in and the smell intensifies.
9:40 p.m. Richard and I finally diagnose the smell as a bonified "skunking," and so a bath ensues (actually 2 baths, and Maggie is not a lover of the bathtime).
10:00 p.m. After two baths, Maggie's body smells much better, but her beard, ears and mouth are still just putrid.
10:15 p.m. I go to bed wondering if I will have to bathe her in tomato juice the next day (I've always heard this was the best and really only way to get the smell out...we'll see).

UPDATE: Today, Maggie smells a bit better, but she still definitely carries the parfume de skunk with her, especially when she wants to give kisses. I think I might have to douse her with tomato juice and see what happens.

I do feel sorry for our neighbors as I'm sure she barked her head off at that darn thing (she is a schnauzer, after all and they ARE the best little barkeroonies in the whole wide world).
Oh, and I did have to throw her pretty multi-colored collar away because I washed it at least 3 tiems and the smell wouldn't come out! She is now wearing the Aggie maroon collar Richard gave her to me with (which was HUGE on her then, but now has to be worn on the last hole)!

The MORE: I joined the new gym Sunday and yesterday was my first workout. Oh geez...didn't know it would be that hard. Really the hardest part of it all was figuring out the machines because they were so different than the ones at our gym in College Station. Anyway, my legs are killing me today, so I guess I did some good. I was impressed with my treadmilling...I think I had a lot of pent up anxiety, frustrations, anger, who knows...I just know I kept running and running and then my time was finished! They say it takes 17-21 days to form a new habit...will it work? Well, I'm paying for it, so it better!

Next post: Super Wal-Mart


  1. OH Mags! Tell her I'll send her some perfume if she needs it! I'll tell Gx3 to watch out for smelly creatures! Give her a hug from me!

  2. I can identify with the sore legs, only mine was my back, legs, stomach, arms, earlobes..... anywhere that can hurt. But, now that I'm in the 3rd week, it is much better. I'm not nearly as sore. Still sore, but better. I want to see this gym the next time we are in Childress. Later- Mom

  3. CLS-Mags wishes Gx3 were here to help her catch that skunky rascal. She wanted it so badly, but only managed to capture the smell.

    Mom-I actually ran to the gym and home, that's how close it is to our house. It is in the little shopping center that the movie theater is in on the corner of 287 and 83, but pretty far back from the highway!

  4. Maggie!!! That must have been awful for you guys to come home to. I can't imagine how awful "up close and personal skunk" must smell!

    Keep up the workouts. How many days a week are planning to go? Are you doing weights and cardio or just cardio? Just curious.

  5. Audrey-
    Yes, the smell is MUCH worse up-close and personal!

    I'm doing the same thing I was doing working out before the move and all...every other day rotating between cardio and weights (legs and upper body). I'm really motivated and with my iPod it is so much easier to stay on that treadmill. Also, we live so close to the gym that I walk or run there and back after I work out. It's been great!


Comment away, y'all!