Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Check It Out...

Check out this link. It's my 7th period class working hard to prepare for TAKS. They are working on some prewriting when I took this picture. I wish I could teach only writing all year long...I absolutely love it. I love when my students really get into what they are writing about and discover a new way to express themselves through the written (or in this case, typed) word. There are some who barely talk, but when given the chance to write, will tell even their deepest secrets and hopefully will purge some of the shame, or guilt they might feel. I absolutely love reading their work and seeing their faces light up when I compliment them on it. Writing has always been a favorite hobby of mine, and I recall many times, writing my heart out on paper. My two greatest hopes for my students when they leave my class are they recognize the love of Christ in me, and they leave my room with more of a like, if not love, for writing.

"Most of the basic material a writer works with is acquired before the age of fifteen." -Willa Cather

4 comments:

  1. You're a great teacher Charla! Thanks for all the hard work and dedication you put in to it. I think there are probably lots of teachers in this world that do it for the summers off, but you can certainly tell when someone is doing it because it's their passion. I loved teachers like you and I know your students do too! Love - Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Charla, that reminds me of the NJWP stuff that we use to all do together at JLMS! I miss those good old days :) Looks like you are doing a GREAT job using everything we learned... I am sure your kids love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me want to take your class! Look at you using your awesome technology...maybe next time you could have your kids record their writing onto a cassette tape...I mean it's just a suggestion. HA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Charla - I feel so lucky to be your friend and work with you...I know the students we have in common are getting a great base in English/Language Arts and I enjoy being able to talk education with you!

    ReplyDelete

Comment away, y'all!