Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Aggieland, Amarillo, and Anniversary

This post could be called Triple A, I suppose. We have had a whirlwind of an extended weekend and didn't even have Columbus Day off. I mean, I would at least like to be able to thank the guy for discovering my home country.

Anyway, we have had a weekend to College Station planned for a year now. We go down for a game once a year, usually in October. The funny thing is, we rarely actually go the games anymore, mainly because it's just so dang expensive these days, but also because we like to be able to spend the time with friends and family we are there with. This year, I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the game (half-time and on) with my college roommate, Laura, and her husband and dad. We had SUCH a good time catching up and laughing about old times. She has a 3 1/2 month old baby boy, Porter and you KNOW who had their hands all over him as often as she could! He's a popular little dude, so I had to fight pretty hard!

Let me back up a little.

McH and I left C-town Friday night LATE! Such is life for us. It is truly par for our course. We didn't get to College Station until 2 a.m. Saturday morning. Ouch.

8:30 and the continental breakfast came very early, but I was anxious to see my friends and my parents. I hadn't actually seen my dad since his surgery last month, so I was ready to hug his neck.

Saturday morning was filled with tent sales to get some cute Aggie t-shirts and paraphernalia, as well as a light lunch and then off to the game for me!

If you've never experienced an Aggie football game and the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band at half-time, you have really missed out. Even if you aren't a fan, I would encourage you to attend a game once in your life. It is truly an experience you will never forget. I still get goose bumps and a lump in my throat EVERY TIME the band gets on the field, and Lt. Col Jay Brewer begins, "Now forming at the North End of Kyle Field, the nationally famous, fightin' Texas Aggie Band," over the loud speaker. And the fans go CRAZY! See, I'm getting all verclempt just writing about it.



Although we didn't pull out a win, the game was an exciting one and less of a loss than most were assuming the Ags would end up with.

That's one thing about Aggie fans you can count on...when the Ags are down and are losing a game or are in a series of losses, true Aggies don't give up on their team. They cheer them on, believing all the while there's always a chance their Ags will pull out a win!

Friday morning a dear friend of our family's, Trent Phipps, passed away after a long battle with Alzheimer's. He was a high school and college football player (lineman) and took many blows to the head. They believe the multiple concussions he received had everything to do with the dementia that eventually took his life at 61 years of age...so young! Click here to read more about this terrifying epidemic in the football world.

So, Sunday we packed up and headed North from College Station so we could get to C-town, get a good night's sleep and get up in the morning to head to Amarillo for Trent's funeral and services. McH stayed in College Station for the annual short-course for TXDOT, but believe me, he's playing as much as he is working! And I'm jealous!

I rode with my parents and spent the day in Amarillo. I was able to see my friend, Sharon, while I was there, and she's doing so much better. It was a relief to have her talk to me and know she is "here." Keep praying for her and her family, as she still has a long road to full recovery!

Last night we got in about 10:30, and headed pretty much straight to bed.

If you're still reading this, then bless you, my friend. You are true and loyal! :)

Yesterday was also our 7th anniversary, but as you read above, McH and I were not even in the same town. So, needless to say, our 7th isn't one for the record books. But that's okay. I'm just glad we're still together and that we can be assured there will be plenty more anniversaries to make up for this one!

The End.

post signature

6 comments:

  1. Happy 7th Anniversary!! Miss you!! Ive posted afew pictures of our new addition!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary to both of you!! You can just celebrate throughout the whole year!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy anniversary! was that really 7 years ago?! glad to hear you had fun in college station - i'm jealous - i haven't been in 2 years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who did the Aggies lose to?? Oh, that's right...OKLAHOMA STATE UNIVERSITY COWBOYS!!!


    (Sorry, I could not resist!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary! So glad you guys could have a blast visiting friends and family. I'm so sorry to hear about your close friend. No doubt it was a great encouragement to his family to see you at his service!

    I am praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously jealous that you got to go to the game! Happy anniversary, Charla!

    ReplyDelete

Comment away, y'all!